Tackling the Rise of 'Maskne'
Wearing a protective face mask has become a necessity for many and as lockdown starts to lift and we venture out again, more and more people are choosing to wear one. While helpful in many ways, this protective face wear is giving rise to a new skincare problem. Dubbed ‘maskne’ (mask acne) it presents as spots, breakouts and irritations around the mouth area.
The primary cause of this is that your breath and warm, moist air circulating behind the mask has no-where to go. Skin oils and perspiration are also trapped, providing the perfect environment for bacteria sitting on your skin to thrive, leading to blocked pores and spots. In addition, rashes and irritations can occur where the face mask rubs against the skin especially on the nose and chin area. People who are prone to spots, eczema, psoriasis or rosacea can find this exacerbates the problem.
Here are a few simple things you can do to help prevent and aid your skin from getting worse.
- Cleanse, cleanse and cleanse!
- Cleanse when you wake, when you remove your mask and before you go to bed using 'best cleanse forever' to clean and clear the skin of unwanted bacteria
- Apply a thin layer of ‘all's well that gels well’. The antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-redness benefits will ensure help protect your skin under your mask
- Remove your mask as often and as soon as you can to let the warm moisture evaporate from your skin
- Don’t wait until the end of the day to cleanse, treat and hydrate your skin, complete your skin:CARE routine as soon as you finish work and remove your mask.
- For irritations and rashes use 'soothe operator' moisturiser to soothe and calm the skin
- Wash cotton and silk masks after every use to prevent further breakouts.
All of the Skin:Genius products are packed with carefully chosen effective natural ingredients with anti-bacterial qualities such as Witch Hazel and Oregan Grape. They also include calming ingredients with anti-inflammatory benefits such as Nettle and Marsh Mallow and super-moisturising ingredients such as Calendula, Babassu and Macadamia.
Particularly handy to carry during the day is our new pocket-sized 10ml ‘zapper’ product Hits The Spot. Designed to stop a spot in its tracks, you simply apply one dot of this product as a direct hit. As it soaks in, calm will be restored as Oregan Grape and Nettle take the sting out of your spot.